Baykeeper defends San Francisco Bay from the biggest threats and holds polluters accountable. Using a unique combination of science, policy, and law, we’ve achieved over 250 legal victories to reduce pollution from industrial facilities, stopped sewage spills to the Bay by 75% from 10 cities, passed new state laws to keep oil and coal pollution out of the Bay, and strengthened local laws regulating toxic pollutants like mercury, dioxins, and selenium to protect the Bay’s wildlife and residents. We’re now approaching our 30th year of Bay protection.
The following position is currently available at San Francisco Baykeeper:
San Francisco Baykeeper is seeking law clerks to work on our citizen enforcement program in San Francisco. Baykeeper defends San Francisco Bay against its biggest threats and holds polluters accountable. Law clerks will assist Baykeeper attorneys on all aspects of our enforcement program under the Clean Water Act and other state and federal environmental laws. Tasks include investigating pollution complaints, legal research, drafting legal documents, attending hearings and public meetings, and patrolling the Bay on the Baykeeper boat.
Litigation and Enforcement
- Research and investigate new pollution cases;
- Research and draft memos on case law, statutes, and regulations;
- Assist in-house attorneys and outside counsel in drafting legal documents;
- Attend court hearings and settlement negotiations as appropriate;
- Assist with filing, correspondence, or document review as needed.
- Represent and advocate on behalf of Baykeeper at local agency hearings;
- Research and prepare comments on agency regulations and permits;
- Draft memos on technical and legal aspects of water quality regulations;
- Assist with press releases, outreach efforts, and public events
- At least one year of law school;
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- A solid academic record;
- Ability to thrive in a friendly, informal setting;
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection;
- Significant knowledge of environmental and administrative laws a plus.
How to Apply
We are currently accepting applications for spring and summer 2020.
For the summer months, Baykeeper requests full-time clerks with a 10-week commitment.
Send a cover letter, resume, three references, a current transcript, and a 5-10 page legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this position.