Baykeeper defends San Francisco Bay from the biggest threats and holds polluters accountable. For more than 30 years, using science, policy, and law, we’ve achieved over 280 legal victories to stop pollution from industrial facilities, reduced sewage spills to the Bay by 75% from 10 cities, passed new state laws to keep fossil fuel pollution out of the Bay, and strengthened local regulation of toxic pollutants like mercury and selenium to protect the Bay’s wildlife and residents. Press coverage has called Baykeeper "one of the region's most active and most effective defenders of the marine environment."
The following positions are currently available at San Francisco Baykeeper:
Litigation and Enforcement
- Research and investigate new pollution cases;
- Research and draft memos on case law, statutes, and regulations;
- Assist in-house attorneys and outside counsel in drafting legal documents;
- Attend court hearings and settlement negotiations as appropriate;
- Assist with filing, correspondence, or document review as needed.
- Represent and advocate on behalf of Baykeeper at local agency hearings;
- Research and prepare comments on agency regulations and permits;
- Draft memos on technical and legal aspects of water quality regulations;
- Assist with press releases, outreach efforts, and public events
- At least one year of law school;
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- A solid academic record;
- Ability to thrive in a friendly, informal setting;
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection;
- Significant knowledge of environmental and administrative laws a plus.
How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for summer 2021. We will begin accepting applications for fall 2021 in late summer.
To apply, prepare a cover letter, resume, a current transcript, and a 5-10 page legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this position.
San Francisco Baykeeper’s Development team is looking for an enthusiastic intern to support in-person and virtual events, individual fundraising, and constituent database maintenance. The ideal person for this position is passionate about environmental protection and looking to develop skills in event production, customer service, and nonprofit management. The Development Intern will work directly with the Development Manager to gain practical experience in fundraising, marketing, and database coordination. The Development Intern will staff our fundraising events, shoreline cleanups, and community outreach events.
This is an unpaid volunteer internship. Arrangements can be made to meet requirements for class credit.
Time Commitment: September 2021 to April 2022. On average, 5 hours a week, and up to 15 hours a week leading up to events. The Development Intern will volunteer one to two days per week during regular business hours. Remote volunteering is available after the first month of the internship, with occasional days required in our Oakland office to supports events and mailings as needed. A consistent weekly schedule, to be arranged upon starting, is preferred. Exact start and end dates flexible.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Research online channels for publicizing Baykeeper events to activate our target audiences. Produce and/or upload publicity content to external sites.
- Prepare registration lists and other event materials. Prepare and manage event supplies and assist with on-site setup/breakdown. Staff events to provide attendee support and ensure all participants have a top-notch experience.
- Following the event, assist with appropriate thank-you messages and prompt follow-up for participants; record attendee and event details; and catalogue event supplies.
- Coordinate Baykeeper’s silent auction: solicit donations, prepare item descriptions and display materials, oversee auction management, conduct follow-up with item winners, and prepare reports on auction results.
- Attend community outreach events to represent Baykeeper; help produce and staff shoreline cleanups.
- Assist with database tasks including entering new contacts, gifts, producing thank-you letters, and preparing year-end mailing lists. Help produce physical mailings.
- Research local businesses that offer fundraising events or donation programs that can support Baykeeper; update external online content about Baykeeper.
- Reach out to local businesses to promote our annual customer education campaign on reducing fats, oils, and grease down the drain.
- Passion for San Francisco Baykeeper’s mission and interest in supporting a small nonprofit.
- Experience in event production and/or nonprofit fundraising and data management.
- High level of professionalism in communication, quality of work, and interpersonal interactions, as well as detail orientation, punctuality, positive attitude, and good people skills.
- Ability to create and manage spreadsheets; experience with contact databases and Mail Merge between Excel and Word a plus.
- Willingness to assist with all parts, large or small, of Baykeeper’s fundraising initiatives.
How to Apply
Send your application to email@example.com describing why you are interested in working with San Francisco Baykeeper, what you hope to gain from this internship, and what skills, interests, or experience you bring to the role. If you have relevant experience, please include a resume. The subject line should read "[Your Last Name], Development Internship." Internship will remain open until filled. Specific questions about the position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.