Join Baykeeper's Bay Parade as a Volunteer on Sunday, August 11!
Volunteers play an integral role in ensuring the success of the Bay Parade. Read about the different volunteer options available to you!
Boaters | Kayak, SUP, Row | On-land
BOATERS: If you are bringing a boat to the Bay Parade or will be on board as a co-pilot or boat crew, please click here to read detailed instructions for boaters in the Bay Parade.
KAYAK, SUP, ROW: If you are an experienced kayaker, stand up paddle boarder, or rower, your support is needed on both courses.
Paddle, Pier 40 to Pier 32/38 to McCovey Cove and back
- Help guide the paddle contingent of the Bay Parade. Work with a team of paddle guides to ensure all paddler participants travel safely along the paddle route and arrive at the parade finale on time. Communicate with other guides and on-the-water event managers to ensure the fun and safety of all participants. You must have experience kayaking in San Francisco Bay and be comfortable providing safety support to other paddlers. Paddle volunteers will participate in a coordination call prior to the event and arrive 2 hours before the event start to go over day-of safety goals. Kayak or SUP rental can be provided, or you may bring your own kayak, SUP, or rowboat. Please review the paddler instructions to familiarize yourself with the course route, event timing, and other useful information.
Swim, Golden Gate Bridge to McCovey Cove
- You will support and ensure the safety of participants by monitoring swimmers in the water, providing visibility to other watercraft, and communicating with other support boats. You must provide your own paddle equipment with this course option.
- Registration: The tasks will include distributing waiver forms, handing out Bay Parade t-shirts and fundraising prizes, checking in bags, and providing general assistance to participants. Once the paddlers are on the water, help pack supplies and move event materials to the after party. This shift runs from approximately 9:30 am-1:30 pm.
- Swimmer Exit: Ensure the safety of the exit by sweeping the perimeter and preparing the exit point for swimmers. After the finale, help make sure swimmers safely exit the water and reach the post-event area for showers and snacks. Once all swimmers have exited the water, you'll head to the shower area to assist with the post-event support station. This shift runs from approximately 12:00 pm -2:00 pm.
- Post-Event Support Station: Help set up and staff the post-event support station by making sure swimmers have their gear and a hot shower; coordinating snack and beverage distribution; and directing participants to the after party. Afterwards take down and pack up supplies. This shift runs from approximately 12:00 pm-2:00 pm.
- Paddle Exit: Greet and direct paddlers who are returning at Pier 40. Help participants who need assistance carrying their kayak to the nearby after party. Once paddlers have returned their gear please come to the after party and assist the after party support volunteers. The shift runs from approximately 12:30 pm-2:30 pm.
- After Party: Help set up and decorate for the Bay Parade After Party. During the event, volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks, including checking IDs, serving drinks and refreshments, staffing the merchandise and prizes table, and assisting boaters and swimmers to access the marina. After the event, help take down and pack up supplies. This shift runs from 11:30-3:30
Volunteers each receive an event t-shirt and get free entrance to the Bay Parade Party once your volunteer shift is complete. Additional party tickets are available for $50.
We will make every effort to accommodate your preference. In the case that your selected role has already been filled, we will reach out about reassigning you.
Thank you in advance for enthusiastically helping us celebrate a clean and healthy Bay!
If you have any questions about a specific role email Léa Pfeffer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top ↑